Guido Beck's St. Joseph’s Chapel at Loras College - Heritage Works Dubuque
Architect, Guido Beck’s next major design in Dubuque came in 1909 when he was granted the contract for building St. Joseph College’s (Loras College) chapel and auditorium. He designed the structure in the Romanesque Revival style of architecture.
Students, Architect, Architect of the Month, Church, Dubuque, Historic Properties, Iowa, Guido Beck, Stained Glass, St. Joseph Chapel at Loras College, Loras College
746
post-template-default,single,single-post,postid-746,single-format-standard,ajax_fade,page_not_loaded,,qode-theme-ver-9.5,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-4.12,vc_responsive
 

Guido Beck’s St. Joseph’s Chapel at Loras College

Guido Beck’s St. Joseph’s Chapel at Loras College

St. Joseph’s Chapel at Loras College

Built 1909

Located at the Intersection of Loras Blvd and Walnut St

st-joseph

Northwest view of St. Joseph’s Chapel. date unknown. (Photo Credit: Loras College Center for Dubuque History)

Architect, Guido Beck’s next major design in Dubuque came in 1909 when he was granted the contract for building St. Joseph College’s (Loras College) chapel and auditorium. He designed the structure in the Romanesque Revival style of architecture. Upon entering the building, a stairway leads to the chapel on the upper level while another stairway leads to the auditorium directly below the chapel. The stage in the auditorium was equipped with “the latest in lighting and scenic devices” and features a turntable for set changes. Upon completion of the building, a new Dramatics Club was formed and the first production took place on Thanksgiving in 1910 with the performance of “My Friend From India.” The Dramatics Club was the forerunner to the Loras Players, the oldest continually running theater group west of the Mississippi River.

The chapel consists of seven altars of Carrara marble, a pipe organ, and beautiful stained glass windows. The chapel has a seating capacity of 520 with the choir and gallery while the auditorium has a capacity of more than one thousand. In 1979-80, the chapel was remodeled and rededicated to St. Joseph on March 19, 1980. The chapel and auditorium are connected to an academic building now known as Hoffmann Hall.

inside2

Inside St. Joseph’s Chapel (2015)

inside

Inside St. Joseph’s Chapel (2015)